All Things Thieves
get in the drivers seat with your health
Welcome to ‘All Things Thieves!’ We all know that health and wellness is on the rise, especially with the recent global pandemic. Many products are being advertised as “safe” and “all-natural”, but are they really all that safe? The packages are pretty and the labels are clever, but the more you dig, the more you find out.
TIP – Do these classes at your own pace. We divide our pages into sections so they can be taken in bite-size portions. 🙂
Time to Switch and Ditch
The American Lung Association explains how many common household cleaning products can lead to health problems like eye and throat irritation, headaches, respiratory issues, allergic reactions, worsened asthma, and possibly even cancer! Yuck!! We don’t want that.
Ingredients to Avoid
When choosing products to use in our houses, it seems easiest to just grab whatever items are available at our local stores. However, those products may noy be the safest. Sadly many of them – even the “green” ones – contain ingredients you do NOT want in your house or anywhere near your family. But what ARE those ingredients and why don’t we want to use them? Let’s take a look!
- Formaldehyde – This is a preservative that is often seen in lotions, cosmetics, and baby wipes. It’s a known carcinogen and can cause skin and respiratory irritations.
- Phthalates – These are a group of chemicals found in personal care products and many plastics and vinyls. They can affect your endocrine system, reproductive health, and even potentially cause cancer.
- VOCs – Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are gases that are emitted into the air. They’re found in some building materials, home and personal products, gasoline, and even things like glue and permanent markers. Breathing VOCs can cause eye, nose and throat irritation as well as difficulty breathing and nausea, even damage to the central nervous system and other organs. Some VOCs can even cause cancer.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – These are surfactants commonly used as an emulsifying cleaning agent in household cleaning products (laundry detergents, spray cleaners, and dishwasher detergents). In other words they keep things mixed up and help them create lather. Oftentimes they are synthetically derived and have the potential to cause skin irritation.
- Ethanolamines (MEA, DEA, and TEA) – These are found in many household and personal care products and have been linked to organ system toxicity, bioaccumulation, and even cancer.
- Triclosan – This is found in many antibacterial soaps, hand sanitizers, and detergents as well as some toothpastes, deodorants, cosmetics, plastics, and more. It can affect the thyroid and endocrine system and was recently banned by the FDA to be used in “antiseptic washes” but can still be found in some other products like toothpaste, cosmetics, and even clothing, kitchenware, furniture, and toys.
- Fragrance – The word “fragrance” can appear on a label and contain an enormous list of ingredients that a company is not required to disclose, as it is considered a ‘trade secret.’ That means a product could contain some awful ingredients and the consumer wouldn’t even know! These chemicals could be linked to cancer, reproductive and developmental toxicity, allergies and sensitivities. Why take the risk?
These are just a FEW of the ingredients you want to avoid when bringing products into your home. But my oh my! Doesn’t that sound exhausting to have to read label after label, wondering if what you’re using is safe?
Well, I’ve got good news! You don’t have to. You won’t find ANY of those ingredients in Young Living products, especially in the Thieves line. You can trust that what you’re purchasing is truly a SAFE product. Young Living never uses any artificial dyes, harsh chemicals, or synthetic fragrances. How wonderful is that?!
And the best part… it all comes directly to your door. Easy peasy!
Now we are going to take a look at the individual Thieves products Young Living has to offer and what makes them so special.
All the products within the Thieves line contain the proprietary Young Living essential blend called Thieves, which is a sweet and spicy combination of Clove, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, Rosemary, and Lemon essential oils. The name ‘Thieves’ was inspired by the legend of four 15th-century French thieves who formulated and wore a special aromatic combination of clove, rosemary, vinegar, and other botanicals that they believed provided protection while they were stealing. The story goes on to say that when the thieves were caught they were offered a lesser punishment if they would divulge to the king the secret to their immunity, despite being exposed to a highly infectious, deadly disease. Pretty interesting, huh??
Thankfully, Young Living has taken this incredible cleansing blend and created an entire line of amazing household and personal care products for us! They are all backed by Young Living’s Seed to Seal quality commitment as well. You can rest assured that you’re getting a quality product made with the highest quality essentials oils and other naturally-derived ingredients.
Check out some of the strict guidelines they abide by to fulfill their promise in sending only the best products to your home.
- plant material that is grown on corporately-owned farms or carefully vetted partner farms (that you CAN visit!)
- sustainable farming and sourcing practices, providing the purest oil
- great care taken to preserve and protect natural resources
- hand-weeded fields and ZERO use of pesticides
- oils that retain all their natural constituents and therapeutic properties
- use of food-grade distillers with state-of-the-art design and distillation methods
- low pressure and low temperature distillation, without the use of solvents or synthetic chemicals
- rigorous testing on each batch by internal labs and third-party facilities
- oils that are carefully reviewed through every step of production in order to meet or exceed industry safety and purity standards (beyond organic!)
And the best part… if the oils do not meet these high standards they are rejected and will not be bottled as a Young Living product. Check out more info on their Seed to Seal promise at www.seedtoseal.com.
Thieves Household Cleaner
We are going to talk about this one first because it is by far the most beloved product of the Thieves family. It’s a member’s favorite thanks to its comforting smell, crazy versatility, and excellent cost effectiveness! So what makes it so special?
Thieves Household Cleaner is a plant-based, ultra-concentrated cleaner that can be used on virtually every surface of your home… bathrooms, kitchens, cabinets, counters, floors, furniture, toys, carpets, mirrors, glass, wood, walls, and more! If you’re a little unsure about using it on something, go ahead and test it in an inconspicuous area. I have personally never had an issue using it on ANYTHING. It’s the only cleaner I use!
AND it’s safe to use around your pets and kids, too! It’s created with naturally occurring surfactants derived from coconut and sugars, so you get a powerful clean without harmful, abrasive chemicals. It’s even septic safe!
Remember I said it was ultra-concentrated? Well all you have to do is add ONE capful to every 2 cups of water and you’ve got an all-purpose cleaner! If you purchase the 14.4 oz. bottle of Thieves Household Cleaner you will get a little over 28 bottles of all-purpose cleaner with that dilution ratio. At the wholesale price, that makes each bottle around $0.84 a piece! If you purchase the larger 64 oz. bottle you will get around 128 bottles of all-purpose cleaner, which makes them around $0.71 a piece! How incredible is that?
Most people grab a glass spray bottle to use and a cute label from Etsy, just for fun, but you can use a plastic spray bottle if you’d like. If you choose to add in additional oils, especially citrus oils, I would suggest grabbing a glass one. Amazon sells them at a great price; so do some other online supply stores. The less you dilute it the more de-greasing power it will have!
Thieves in the Kitchen
You may be thinking, “Why do I need to worry about the soap I use to wash my dishes?” Well, you aren’t eating the plate for lunch. However, you do put food ON your plate. The food picks up the detergent residue from the plate and then you ingest the food. That means that you ARE ingesting the soap or detergent. You also inhale the chemicals as the dishwasher releases them during washing. Ahhh!!! But don’t worry… I have some solutions!
Thieves Automatic Dishwasher Powder
Thieves Automatic Dishwasher Powder combines the power of natural enzymes, essential oils, citric acid, and saponins derived from soapberries for a superior cleaning system without the use of harsh chemicals. It’s also infused with essential oils for extra effectiveness and a great, fresh scent. It removes dried-on food, grease, oil, and other contaminants so you can enjoy sparkling clean dishes without compromising your health.
Thieves Dish Soap
Easily swap out your not-so-safe dish soap with Thieves Dish Soap. This plant-based solution is infused with Jade Lemon and Bergamot essential oils, and of course, the Thieves blend. It contains no sulfates, dyes, formaldehyde, phosphates, or synthetic perfumes and uses natural grease-cutting agents, leaving dishes sparkling clean with no residue. Your hands will also thank you for using such a gentle formula.
You may notice that this soap isn’t quite as sudsy as traditional dish soaps. That’s because they don’t add the harmful chemical that creates the bubbles. So… I have an easy hack for you that not only creates more bubbles, but will also TRIPLE your bottle of soap! #WinWin
First, remove 2/3 of the soap from the bottle and store for later. Add 1 tsp baking soda to the remaining soap. Fill with distilled or filtered water and shake until all mixed together. Use as directed on the bottle. So easy!
Thieves Fruit & Veggie Soak and Spray
Before we move on, let’s talk about two more Thieves products you can use in your kitchen – Thieves Fruit & Veggie Soak and Thieves Fruit & Veggie Spray. They’re both the same formula but come in different containers. The soak comes in a small jug; you simply add a little to a basin of water, soak, rinse, and enjoy eating your fruits and vegetables as nature intended. The spray can be used to give your produce a quick spritz before rinsing and enjoying! It’s great for on-the-go uses or to bring along for camping trips or vacations.
The Fruit and Veggie Soak and Spray are infused with the Thieves, DiGize, and Purification essential oils blends and are great for both conventional and organically grown produce, safely and effectively cleaning them before consumption. Because believe me – once you see what comes off, you will be glad you decided to wash them!
Thieves in the Laundry Room
The laundry room is a place most of us spend a lot of time in. I mean, we all need clean clothes, right? One would think it’s safe to just use whatever laundry soap or detergent you want based on the smell and washing ability. Sadly – that’s not the case.
Unfortunately the majority of the laundry soaps and detergents available to us are riddled with dangerous chemicals such as 1,4-dioxane; fragrance; SLS; and more. We breathe in those chemicals as the laundry is being washed and dried (hello toxic dryer sheets!) AND we can even be absorbing them as we wear our clothes and snuggle into our blankets and towels. Ahhh! Why risk things like skin, nose, throat, and lung irritation or long-term effects to our organs and hormones? Some of these dangerous chemicals have even been linked to cancer yet they’re still readily available to us and marketed as “safe” and “normal.”
Thankfully, Young Living wants nothing to do with those chemicals and has given you a legitimately SAFE solution with Thieves Laundry Soap. It is made of plant-based ingredients and leaves no chemical or synthetic residue so you can snuggle up with NO worries! It contains natural enzymes and cleaning agents and of course, the most powerful essential oils on the planet. Your clothes will be fresh and clean and left with a light citrus scent, not a heavy perfume.
The best part about this soap is that it’s concentrated so a little goes a long way! You can get 64 loads with just one 32-ounce bottle, making it economic AND a safe alternative for your family. Want to get DOUBLE that? Try this hack!
- Remove 16 oz. soap from the bottle (half).
- Add 3 capfuls of Thieves Household Cleaner (as a booster; optional).
- Add 16 oz. distilled or filtered water.
- Gently shake until completely incorporated.
- Use as directed on the bottle.
One last trick… instead of grabbing dryer sheets (also filled with dangerous chemicals), grab some wool dryer balls from Amazon or a store like Trader Joe’s. It’s such an easy switch! Add 3-5 drops of your choice of essential oil to each dryer ball and freshen up that laundry. Tip: add the oils to the balls at the end of the cycle and let them toss for 5 minutes for best results.
Thieves in the Bathroom
Remember that harsh chemical I mentioned in the beginning – triclosan? It is a banned ingredient for antiseptic washes but it can still be found in other products like toothpaste! Why is it not safe to apply to your skin but it’s perfectly ok to put in your mouth? That doesn’t make any sense!
Toss that questionable toothpaste and go for one with all-natural ingredients and essential oils – like the Thieves AromaBright or Thieves Whitening toothpastes! You won’t find any synthetic ingredients here. AromaBright gently brushes away plaque and helps support strong and healthy-looking teeth, while its smooth, natural formula is gentle on teeth and their delicate enamel. Thieves Whitening Toothpaste uses pure and safe ingredients to whiten teeth, fight plaque, support healthy gums, and remove stains without damaging enamel. It also foams up quite nicely! They are both fluoride-free and contain no harsh ingredients.
Oily Hack: Use your AromaBright toothpaste as deodorant! Just a tiny pea-size amount rubbed on your underarms does the trick. It’s not sticky and it smells amazing. Try it!
Next up in the bathroom is Thieves Fresh Essence Plus Mouthwash. Your teeth and gums will benefit from an invigorating clean that’s free from harsh alcohol and artificial dyes and flavors. You will get the spicy-sweet flavor of Thieves plus a touch of Spearmint and Peppermint, leaving your mouth happy and healthy.
Make your dentist happy and floss those teeth – with Thieves Dental Floss. It’s made with strong fibers that resist fraying and glide easily between teeth, removing food particles and buildup. There are no synthetic dyes, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives… but what you WILL find is Thieves and Peppermint essential oils. Your bathroom – and your body – are going to love all these simple swaps!
The name says it all with this blend. It’s my go-to oil when things get crazy and we need a little CALM to come over us… which is pretty much all the time! Ha! Where are my moms at??
You can wear this one on diffuser jewelry, on your neck or wrists, or pop some in the diffuser. You can even get a little creative with it and add a drop or two some homemade playdough for the kids!
What’s so great about Peace & Calming?
- It’s a gentle, sweet blend of Ylang Ylang, Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli, and Blue Tansy and is one of Young Living’s most popular blends.
- Tangerine and Orange contain some of the highest naturally occurring levels of the constituent limonene.
- It has a comforting, fresh aroma.
- It helps freshen the air when diffused.
- It offers a peaceful environment for yoga and meditation.
- It can provide a relaxing environment for yourself, your kids, or your pets.
We are a busy culture; are we not? We run, run, run, and then we run some more. We are always on the move. Young Living makes it easy to take the power of Thieves with you wherever you go with Thieves Sanitizer, Spray, and Wipes!
Thieves Hand Sanitizer
- Kills 99.9% of germs and eliminates common, harmful bacteria
- Formulated with powerful essential oils and plant-based ingredients
- Lightly moisturizes with aloe vera and vegetable glycerin
- Leaves no chemical residue behind
- Contains no petrochemicals, mineral oil, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, dyes, preservatives, or toxic ingredients
- Contains naturally derived, plant-based ingredients
- Doesn’t require rinsing after use and has no harsh fumes
- Easy to throw in a backpack, purse, or luggage with its on-the-go size
- Cleans many different surfaces, such as counters, sinks, toilets, and door handles
- Safe to use around the whole family, including children and pets
- Non-drying, non-greasy, & no rinsing required
- Non-toxic and biodegradable
- Patented essential oil-liposome complex
- Contain naturally derived, plant-based ingredients to quickly clean and freshen surfaces
Now you’ve got all you need to combat the crazy while you’re out and about. Keep your bags fully stocked and ready to tackle anything that comes lurking your way! #ByeByeYuck
The list just keeps on going, doesn’t it? Thieves everywhere! The cool thing about Thieves is that it can be used topically, aromatically, AND internally. The Thieves product line includes several ingestible items – the Vitality oil, cough drops, lozenges, and mints. Let’s take a quick look at them all!
The Vitality oils are labeled for internal/dietary use so they can be ingested. The solid color bottles are labeled for aromatic/topical use. However, they are the SAME oil. The ONLY difference is the color of the label. Lucky for us that means the Thieves blend is safe to ingest.
What’s so great about Thieves Vitality?
- It provides immune system support.
- It’s cleansing to the digestive system.
- It contains antioxidant properties.
- It provides general wellness support.
Again, because it’s a Vitality oil, it can be added to food or drinks, taken in a veggie capsule, or placed directly under the tongue. Some people enjoy it added to oatmeal, parfaits, coffees, desserts, honey, or NingXia Red. Try a few things and get creative; the possibilities are endless!
Check out these other great ways to ingest the Thieves blend…
Thieves Cough Drops
- Soothes sore throats
- Relieves coughs
- Cools nasal passages
- Naturally sugar-free
- Great flavor; contains natural menthol
- Contains natural ingredients and pure essential oils
- Great flavor boost thanks to Peppermint and Lemon essential oils
- Perfect for on-the-go and bags of all kinds – purses, backpacks, briefcases
- Contains no dyes, artificial flavors, or preservatives
- Use them for targeted support or overall wellness
- Naturally sugar-free
- Made from naturally derived ingredients
- Free of artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives
- Contains Thieves and Peppermint essential oils
As you can see Young Living makes it SO easy to get that incredible boost of Thieves every day. Get one or get them all – you can’t go wrong!
Become a Well-Oiled Machine
Enrolling with Young Living is as easy as placing an order for what you want on the Young Living website using the Get Started button below. If you decide to Subscribe to Save, then you will also enjoy 24% off retail pricing.
Using our link will automatically add you to our Young Living family, which we call Well-Oiled Machines. As a member of our Well-Oiled Machine family, you will gain access to our active private Facebook community and other resources, have the freedom to ask questions, and be encouraged on your personal journey to better health and wellness.
We are looking forward to having you join our team!
Keep in touch!
Got questions? Want to share a testimony with us? Not a Young Living member yet and ready to get started?
Whether hearing your favorite YLEO testimonies or helping you get your own Young Living account, we'd love to hear from you!